Grab Philippines reaffirms its commitment to safety amid rising COVID cases
Amid the surge of COVID cases in the Philippines, Grab - Southeast Asia’s leading superapp, announces key initiatives as part of its ongoing commitment to providing Filipinos with a safe and reliable platform for their everyday needs while ensuring the safety and wellbeing of driver- and delivery-partners on the platform.
As of January 2022, the Philippines is witnessing a resurgence of COVID cases - breaching the 30,000 mark for new cases per day. The DOH has also declared that there have been reported cases of the more infectious Omicron variant in the country. In light of these events, Grab Philippines is reaffirming its commitment to ensuring utmost safety and hygiene throughout its platform through the following measures:
1. Enhancing Grab’s COVID assistance fund for vaccinated Driver- and Delivery-Partners. In light of the higher COVID positivity rate in the Philippines, Grab is increasing its COVID Assistance Fund by 4X to cover the potential loss of income and medical expenses of fully-vaccinated driver- and delivery-partners who have contracted COVID and may need to undergo mandatory quarantine, and those who may experience side-effects from their booster shots.
2. Continuous strengthening of safety and hygiene measures on mobility and delivery services. Safety is a key priority for Grab. With the recent surge in COVID cases as well as the looming threat of the Omicron variant in the Philippines, Grab continues to raise the bar on safety and hygiene to minimize the risk of COVID transmission on the platform through the following:
- In support of the recent government policies concerning unvaccinated individuals, Grab is expanding its GrabProtect Program to include a weekly mandatory COVID testing for unvaccinated driver- and delivery-partners starting Jan. 17. Driver- and delivery-partners with negative COVID test results from Grab-accredited testing sites will receive bookings from the platform;
- Grab Philippines is also encouraging driver- and delivery-partners who are fully vaccinated for at least 3 months to get their booster shots from their respective LGUs;
- To ensure utmost safety and hygiene throughout the platform, driver- and delivery-partners are also urged to regularly disinfect their vehicles and their gears, and observe public health protocols.
3. Discounted GrabCar rides going to and from vaccination centers. Grab Philippines extends its GrabCar Bayanihan initiative by providing Filipinos with safe, reliable, and affordable rides going to and from vaccination sites. GrabCar Bayanihan is available for individuals who are completing their vaccination, and even for those getting their booster shots.
“Our fight against COVID is far from over - and even if many of us are vaccinated, we need to always keep our guards up to prevent breakthrough infections from impacting our homes and communities. By continuously enhancing our existing safety and hygiene protocols, we are supporting many Filipinos who rely on Grab for their everyday needs and livelihoods. Grab will continue to support the fight against COVID, and rest assured that we will continue to revisit, enhance, and tailor our safety and hygiene measures to better support our kababayans,” says Grab Philippines Country Head Grace Vera Cruz.